About Corazon

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Cooking With Corazon, Episode VII

Southwest Style
Pumpkin Soup


Ok, so I have never in my life tried pumpkin soup. In fact, the mere idea seemed strange to me. However, since I have accepted the fact that the majority of my meals over the years have been boring I was willing to give it a shot. The problem I faced was not knowing which direction to take this soup. I've read some recipes that were sweet and others that were more on the spicy side. Well, after talking it over with my cousin, Sarah (who is a professional chef in California) I decided to do both: make a sweet version AND a spicy one as well. Today I chose the SPICY:



I was really worried about this soup. After all, who has ever heard of a spicy Southwest pumpkin soup! And being that this was my first experience eating and making pumpkin soup, a part of me felt doomed to immediate culinary destruction. With that said, I am happy to report that this soup was AWESOME!!!! I loved every last bite.

Just FYI, this soup is a little on the spicy side. The Chipotle powder will put some hair on your chest if you don't respect it. However, the sweetness of the pumpkin and the brown sugar certainly do help to cancel a lot of the heat out, leaving just the flavor. And the flavor of this soup is OUTSTANDING! Like I said before, I loved every single bite. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon oil
1 red onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder (careful, she bites back!!!)
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups chicken broth
3 cups pumpkin puree
1 12 oz. can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 10 oz. can Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 handful cilantro (chopped, optional)
1 handful toasted pumpkin seeds (optional)

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the onions and saute together with the garlic, chipotle powder, and S&P. for about 6-7 minutes.
3. Add the chicken broth, pumpkin puree, black beans, tomatoes and brown sugar and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
4. Add freshly chopped cilantro and baked pumpkin seeds as garnish (optional)
5. SCARF!!!

For the pumpkin seeds I simply cleaned and dried them overnight and then baked them at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes, with a little oil, salt, and yes, CHIPOTLE CHILE POWDER! (I love the heat in case you can't tell). But go light on it!

Up next: the sweeter version of pumpkin soup (thanks again, Sarah!).

No comments: