About Corazon

Friday, October 16, 2009

Cooking With Corazon, Episode II

Beef, Sausage and Bean Chili
with Spicy Avocado Relish


The other week I made a pot of chili that I am happy to report was a HIT! The recipe is sort of a play off of Bobby Flay's chili recipe (but it has my own twist to it). Fantastic stuff:



Here is the recipe:

1/4 cup olive oil
2 pounds ground beef
1/2 pound Italian sausage
1 large red onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons ancho chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
8 cups homemade chicken stock, or canned low-sodium or water
1 (16-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, drained and pureed
1 tablespoon chipotle pepper puree
1 tablespoon honey
1 can of black beans, 1 can pinto beans, 1 can kidney beans, all rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
salt and pepper

And for the avocado relish topping:

2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
1/2 small red onion, finely diced
1 jalapeno or serrano chile, finely diced (warning, serrano's are HOT!!!!)
Lime juice
Chopped cilantro leaves
Salt and pepper

I cooked it on low in a crock pot for 6 hours and it was DELICIOUS!!! Definitely a "keeper" recipe in my opinion. Now, if you like a chili with heat, this may not be it. I have 2 small kids so I didn't add too much heat to it. However, I was still not disappointed. I like spicy stuff and though this wasn't too spicy I really enjoyed the flavors!

No comments: