About Corazon

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Cooking With Corazon, Episode IX

Yakitori

Of all the food in the world, my personal favorite is Asian. For whatever reason, I love the flavors, ingredients and creativity of Asian foods. It's not that other food from around the world is bad...not at all. I just happen to personally have an affinity for Asia's emphasis on rice, certain meats (especially fish) and veggies.

Today I tried my hand at a very traditional Japanese dish called Yakitori:



Very simple and very good. It's almost a crime how easy and simple this is. Here's the ingredients:

- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 4 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- a little bit of honey (to taste)

Directions:

- Mix the soy sauce, mirin, sugar and honey and heat until completely mixed.
- Cook chicken breasts, chop to about a the size of a quarter.
- Mix chicken and sauce and cook until completely coated (like 5 minutes).
- Put on bamboo skewers (optional).
- SCARF!!!!

The sweetness of the sugar and the honey really do offset the saltiness of the soy sauce. Now, since I like my food spicy, I added a little bit of Sriracha (the red sauce on the plate in the pic above). It was grrrrreat!

旺盛な食欲 A.K.A. "Buen Provecho!"

No comments: