About Corazon

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Festival of Lights: Prelude

If you've followed this blog with any level of regularity I am sure you have noticed that I have a passionate interest in history, particularly religious history. For whatever reason I find religious history to be incredibly fascinating. Whether it takes the form of Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, etc., it is both important and interesting to understand why certain groups of people believe the way they do (and it's something that is desperately needed today, since religious intolerance seems to infect our society like a virus).

With that said, I am excited to announce that my family and I will be celebrating Hanukkah (Chanukah) this coming week. That's right, at sunset on the 11th (in just two days) we will be lighting the first candle on our Menorah! It is my hope that this celebration will not only prove educational for my two kids (ages 5 and 2) but also for my wife and I. Even though I have read the Hanukkah history a few times I believe that actually celebrating the Festival of Lights will prove even more meaningful. After all, reading and studying something is one thing but to apply it is something different entirely.

It is also worth mentioning here at the onset that I am NOT Jewish. However, I do believe that many Jewish teachings and holidays can prove extremely insightful and meaningful for the practicing Christian. After all, even Jesus probably celebrated Hanukkah in his day! In addition, I hope to give Hanukkah the respect it deserves by celebrating the holiday as accurate as possible.

Over the course of those "Eight Crazy Nights" I hope to record some of my family's thoughts, insight, etc. here on this blog. In addition, I will also be posting a few random things on the history of Hanukkah, some interesting Hanukkah stories, etc.

I hope you will all stay tuned (starting December 11th at sundown) and will find this activity of interest to you as well. Please, over the course of the next few days, feel free to contribute anything you'd like. I would love to hear your insight as well!

Chag Urim Sameach!

No comments: