About Corazon

Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Crazy (but Worthwhile) Challenge

Read the "Good Book" in 90 Days
That's Right, I Said 90 Days


I've been sort of M.I.A. from my blog the past week. I apologize (not that I have a ton of readers so maybe I don't need to apologize). It's been a busy week and I haven't found much drive to blog. Plus, I have struggled to find something worth writing about. American politics suck so forget that. History is always fun but I am a little tired of always writing about it. I guess I have just been looking for something unique. Well, I think I found it.

Just the other day I saw a very interesting challenge that an Evangelical minister did with his congregation. He dared them to read the entire Bible in only 90 days. That's right, all 1590 pages (give or take depending upon which translation of the Good Book we're talking about). I've done similar challenges in the past. I remember reading the Bible in a year's time (really not that hard to do, BTW) as the result of a challenge issued to me by a religious leader. Heck, I even remember reading the entire Book of Mormon in one 24 hour period. Now, I say this not to brag but to illustrate the fact that it is possible to accomplish such goals. With that said, I recognize that reading the ENTIRE BIBLE in 90 days is quite daunting.

But not that daunting.

The average person can read a normal page of text in roughly 3-4 minutes. In order to read the entire Bible in 90 days, a person needs to average about 18 pages per day. In other words, you'd need to devote roughly an hour (or maybe a bit more when reading Isaiah) every day. Yeah, it's a lot but what else are you going to do with your time? Watch politics on television? Or America's Got Talent? Or spend it Facebooking (is that word officially a verb yet?).

I guess my point is this: yes, life is busy. As a father of two wild boys I recognize it. HOWEVER, I also recognize that most people have at least an hour (if not more) every day that they could devote to something really cool...at least this is the case with me. In addition, I want to make it clear that I am no Bible thumper. Those who know me would tell you as much. But that doesn't mean that I hate the Good Book. Quite the contrary. Whether you believe in it or not is irrelevant. The Bible's importance in western civilization is unmistakable. As a result, everyone should care about it.

So, if you are brave (or crazy) enough I invite you to join me. I will be beginning this challenge tomorrow (Sunday, August 22). That's right, I got the Bible on my iPod, on my computer and in my car. Oh yeah, and I also have one of those strange hard copies on standby as well. If all goes well I should be done sometime before Thanksgiving. So will you join me? It should be fun!

Any takers?

7 comments:

Andreas said...

Cool Idea, 90 days is fairly reasonable if you're a novice book reader

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...sounds daunting to say the least. Give up television for reading the Bible? Even Leviticus?

I am going to have to ponder this challenge for a bit. It sounds tempting.

I can't give up America's Got Talent though. No way. Maybe the news, but not AGT.

Brad Hart said...

Oh come on, Anon! You know you want to! =)

Eric said...

Interesting challenge, I think I might have to take this challenge on.

Anonymous said...

Great challenge. My problem is that I'm a thorough reader. I don't like to skim things, unless it's fiction or a reference book. I read to understand. Thus, with the Bible, these reading challenges, plans don't work too well for me, because I'm always camping out on certain passages and going deeper with them.

For me, what works better is to take the Bible one book at a time, like "Read Genesis in 5 days." Something like that.

Jenn said...

I suppose I just read Mockingjay in less than a day, so I'm sure I could join you...but I'm not going to. Well, at least with the bible. I think I'll do the BoM instead.

Barb said...

I am the world's slowest reader. There's no way I could read the Bible in that amount of time. A year, sure thing.