About Corazon

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Great Moments in Presidential Election History

In 1988, Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis and Lloyd Bentsen went head-to-head with George Bush Sr. and Dan Quayle for the presidency of the United States. During the campaign (which was the first presidential campaign that I actually paid attention to...I was ten years old) I recalled a couple of occasions when both sides delivered a pretty solid strike against their opponent. And thanks to Youtube, I have been able to see them again. I remember seeing them both live as a kid and recall how they helped to kindle my interest in American politics. Here they are:

Lloyd Bentsen making Dan Quayle look like a chump:


And Ronald Reagan's fantastic response:


In the end, I suppose both Bentsen and Reagan were right. Quayle was far from being anything like JFK and Dukakis was hardly the next Thomas Jefferson.

SHOCKER!

2 comments:

Brian Tubbs said...

Saw both of these moments live. Bentsen's comment was devastatingly effective. It was also a low blow. Morally speaking, Dan Quayle was right to say that was "uncalled for." But when you're at that level, you have to be prepared for anything, and Quayle walked right into Bentsen's haymaker.

Brad Hart said...

Amen to that. You don't see debates like those anymore. They were cool.