About Corazon

Friday, January 8, 2010

Cooking With Corazon, Episode XVIII

Shrimp and Feta
Cheese Soup


It's been cold...REALLY cold here in Colorado Springs this past week. With temperatures reaching way below zero and rarely if ever climbing into the 30s, it felt like soup-eating weather. Sadly, I am a novice when it comes to soups (even more so than I am to cooking in general) I was a little worried that trying my hand at this dish could prove disastrous.

Happily, I was mistaken. This soup was pretty darn good:



This is my take on a recipe that I originally found on Closet Cooking, which is one of my favorite cooking blogs on the web. I call it a "Shrimp and Feta Cheese Soup." Here are the ingredients:

Ingredients:
- 1 pound of shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 large tomato (diced)
- 6 green onions (sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 white onion (chopped)
- 1 tbs. hot sauce
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup feta cheese (coarsely crumbled)
- Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Heat a little bit of oil in a pan and saute shrimp for a couple minutes on each side. Once finished, remove shrimp and set aside.
2. Add garlic and saute in pan for about 1 minute.
3. Add the tomato, green onion and white onion and saute for 3-5 minutes.
4. Add the shrimp, chicken stock, herbs, cilantro, oregano and hot sauce to pan. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 10-15 minutes minutes.
5. Remove from heat and gently mix in the feta cheese.
6. SCARF!!!

This is a good soup for those who like shrimp. The cheese adds a nice creamy texture and the herbs and spices give it just enough of zing to compliment the shrimp.

No comments: